There's something about spring and summer that gives me the travel bug and a quick trip to a neighbor island is all I need to be cured. This time, Maui was at the top of my list as I was itching to get back to Paia, one of my favorite places to cruise around for that hippie-chic, small town vibe with awesome local shops (Letarte, Tamara Catz and Nuage Bleu to name just a few...).
While packing for my trip, I found my suitcase overflowing with unnecessary items (do I really need three pairs of sunglasses? Will I really wear wedges? No). As I sat on my bedroom floor surrounded by heaps of swimsuits, cover ups and denim cut-offs, I realized I needed to edit my options. I could not justify taking anything larger than a carry on for a 5-day beach getaway. Since I've made a career out of doing just that—editing—I narrowed down my list of what to pack when island hopping.
Most of the clothing and accessories I ended up packing were multifunctional, jewelry was simple and accessories would work with a variety of outfits. Here's what's at the top of my packing list:
- Swimsuit that doubles as a top (gold palm trees? I'll never get over this Beach Riot one-piece)
- Classic pair of denim shorts (high-waisted is my current favorite style)
- Sunnies that go with every outfit (cat-eye styles look good on most face shapes!)
- Comfortable sandals you can take from day to night (espadrilles are also a good option)
- Large beach bag for your Mary Poppins moments
- Statement beach towel
- Mermaid fins for snorkeling adventures
- Travel-sized sunscreen (admittedly, my devotion to ACACIA runs deep)
- Good book (Valley of the Dolls will celebrate its 50th anniversary next year, I try to stay ahead of the game!)